Good grief!!! How is it possible to gain 494 yds and have to rely on 5 FG’s to beat an awful Rutgers team on a field that looked like it was transported directly from ND to Yankee Stadium? Sure, this is a baseball field but come on – it’s the Yankee’s we’re talking about.
ND was it’s usual lethargic self and didn’t realize they had to actually play til the 4th quarter where they pounded the ball on the ground with McDaniel 80 yds and Folston 73 and a TD. Kyle Brindza, my MVP with 5 FG’s but Zach Martin a close 2nd.
Play calling offense – this was Kelly all the way – he continued to call east west running plays even though the field was so bad the backs couldn’t cut. Finally dawned on Kelly to run N-S. Denbrock had a good seat to watch the game though.
More amazing – we only had one OL – Mark Harrell to sub in case of an injury. I can see not burning a year but come on – at least one of the Frosh recruits outside of Elmer could have contributed. Then again, all the ND games are so tight it was difficult for subs to get any playing time.
Defense – bend/break utilized again and that takes Kerry Cooks off the board as new DC. Reports coming out that NY Jets LB coach Brian VanGorder will be named as the new DC as early as tomorrow. Present coaches in trouble – Cooks, Elston and Elliott – look for them to go with Diaco or Martin.
Van Gorder has experience in both college and pros and likes a more aggressive approach. He’s gotta be good if he works with HC Rex Ryan whose father created the famous 46 Defense when with the Chicago Bears. This would be a very good hire plus he’s worked with Kelly before.
On offense – I think Kelly will be his own OC with maybe an assist from Denbrock. Just can’t imagine anyone with OC creds working for Kelly, who as everyone knows is a genius.
So we finish the year 9-4, we treaded water just waiting for Golston who spent the season with a QB guru who waved a broom in his face to help him pass, Golson also learned that a QB has more control of passes with fingers on the laces – gee didn’t know that. Holy Montana!!!!
This and That:
- Tuitt: don’t get him – played hard once in awhile and he is no Bubba Smith. Couldn’t figure out if he was just doing whatever he could to avoid injury but this was the game he could have impressed pro scouts with a dominating performance – didn’t happen. He goes Pro.
- Troy Niklas: TE projected a 2nd round pick – think that’s worth 4-5 Mil – he goes Pro also. He’s huge and really has nothing more to prove – why tempt fate.
- George Atkinson – disqualified from bowl game, team infraction. This is a disgruntled player who’s father chips in snide statements – he transfers and takes his brother with him.
- 2014 Season – tough schedule and Kelly just has to hope Golson explodes. Many forget how awful he was at times – replaced by Rees with games on the line.
- Tommy Rees – ultimate ND guy and ultimate team player finished ahead of Powlus with 7000 yards and 61 career TD passes – thanks for all you did kid. He just might be taken by a Pro Team as maybe a 3rd team backup – hope so, a few $$ in his pocket and further learning experience for his resume as a future football coach.
- Michigan got blasted in their Bowl Game by KSU and their 100 year old coach.
- Charley Molnar – former ND OC fired as HC at Umass after 2 wins in 2 years. Don’t know whether that’s fair or not – no one could turn that program around in 2 years.
- Rutgers – gotta feel bad for them as they now become a perennial doormat in the Big Ten – what the hell were they thinking!!!
Happy New Year All !!!!
GD Star Rating